|Posted by [email protected] on March 16, 2019 at 8:40 PM|
Central Texas Treasure Club
March 2019 Meeting
Website links: http://centraltexastreasureclub.webs.com
Email: [email protected]
Minutes from the March 5th meeting:
• Jay called the meeting to order. 25 members in attendance at the meeting with two new members, George and Patsy. Welcome everyone!!
• The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Brian.
• Pete Morgan asked if he could say something before the meeting began. He reminded club members that we all need to considerate during the meetings, especially when we have large crowds, because it is hard to hear.
• Travis gave the VP report thinking Max for bringing the snack for this meeting. A volunteer was solicited to bring refreshments to the April meeting and Charlie volunteered. Thank you! Travis also asked if anyone would be interested in doing a program. Hobbies of any type to share would be welcome.
• Jay gave the Treasury report. Amanda Bramblett, our newly elected Treasurer will assume responsibilities for the bank balance starting next meeting.
• Max gave the Secretary report. He brought his ring sizer, Dremel tool, and mallet to the meeting for members to use in cleaning up pieces that they have found. Max also reminded the group that we only have 3 club t-shirts available at $10. Next time they are ordered the price will be raised to $15 per the vote at the January meeting.
• Hunt master Mike announced that the prizes for the raffle and some coins for the hunt have been purchased. Tickets are available to members this evening to take and sell. Good photos of the prizes will be added to a flyer to promote the raffle. Mike has offered to donate prizes to award to the member who sells the most tickets at each meeting between now and the drawing on June 4th. Thanks Mike!! If you are interested in selling tickets, please contact Mike.
• Membership dues were paid by several for several people. If your membership dues are owed, please renew your memberships by mailing them to: Jay Longley, CTTC, 2207 Ave. B, Brownwood, Texas 76801 or paying at our next meeting to keep receiving club emails and to be able to participate in club activities. Please contact Jay if you have questions or concerns.
• The membership recruitment challenge had a tie between Charlie and Mike in March with each of them bringing one new member. Contest will be extended until the next meeting in April. The member who recruits the highest number of new members will get an uncirculated 1964D Half Dollar. New member applications can be picked up with Travis. The competition will go on until there is a clear winner. New member forms should be turned in to Amanda.
• Club cards were passed around for anyone needing more cards to pass out to potential members.
• The Nickel Challenge was a success with members turning in more than 300 nickels!! The results were:
1. Don – 119 nickels – 1oz silver Buffalo Round
2. Jason – 112 nickels – 1936 Buffalo nickel
3. John M. – 29 nickels – 1935 Buffalo nickel
• Treasure cache clue. The April clue is: Go to Kiwanis Park in the end field. Good luck and happy hunting!!
• The will be a “April Surprise Hunt” again this April. Stay tuned for more details. Hopefully this year it will be warmer than 30 degrees!!
• Pete Morgan suggested we start a club member share. Each month, we will have one club member share a story about something interesting that they found or someone they talked to while out looking for treasure. Pete started with a story of hunting in a location here in Texas where he found two different tokens each from Florida in two different areas about a mile and a half apart all in the same afternoon! …maybe it was the universe reminding him to drink more orange juice?
• Jay introduced the next club activity - The Penny Challenge!! Points will be awarded for each Penny members find. Like our Nickel Challenge, the rarer the type of Penny, the more points they are worth in the competition. The challenge will be to get more points than Jay can get over the month. There will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awarded. In the event of a tie, we will draw for first place. Only Pennies that were found starting at the end of the March meeting until the beginning of the April meeting count. Details have been emailed to each member so let’s get out there and find some Pennies!!!
Topics to be discussed at future meetings:
• What’s on your mind? Raise your hand and say “I want to discuss… This is our club and everyone has a voice.
• Is anyone interested in a specific topic for a future meeting? You determine the topic. Just let Jay know.
THANK YOU to Max for bringing the March snack. If you would like to volunteer to bring refreshments to any meeting, please let Travis or Max know.
Responsible hunting will keep the hobby alive for everyone else! Please follow the Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics so that all of us can continue to enjoy this enjoyable hobby and perhaps, even get lucky and find our fortunes!
1. I will respect private property and will do no treasure hunting without the property owner's permission.
2. I will fill in all holes I dig.
3. I will not damage natural resources, wildlife habitats, or any private property.
4. I will use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.
5. I will build fires in designated or safe places only.
6. I will leave gates as found.
7. I will remove and properly dispose of any trash that I find.
8. I will not litter.
9. I will not destroy property, buildings, or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.
10. I will not tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.
11. And, finally, the most important one of all -- I will have fun!!
If we all follow these simple rules while metal detecting or treasure hunting, we will go a long way to keeping the public on our side in the fight to protect our rights.
February marble Drawing – No winner
Door Prizes: 1st: 1Silver Walking Liberty Half Dollar - Max
2nd: Treasure pouch - George
3rd: White’s Key ring -Patsy
4th: Garrett Chip clip - Aaron
Current “Finds of the Month” Standing:
January 1st 2nd 3rd
Coins John M Jay Mike
JPM Jay John M Mike / Pete
Relics John M Jay Pete
M Unusual Pete /Jay John M
February 1st 2nd 3rd
Coins Pete M John M Aaron
JPM Pete A John M Pete M
Relics Ralph/John M Woody Jay
M Unusual Aaron Jay/John M Woody/Charlie
March 1st 2nd 3rd
Coins Charlie Pete M John M
JPM Pete M Otto John M
Relics Pete M John M Charlie
M Unusual Woody Jimmy Pete M
Points Year To Date:
John M: 23 Points
Pete M: 18 Points
Jay: 13 Points
Woody: 6 Points
Charlie: 5 Points
Aaron: 4 Points
Pete A: 3 Points
Ralph: 3 Points
Mike: 2 Points
Jimmy: 2 Points
Otto: 2 Points
Our next regular meeting is Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. at the Early Chamber of Commerce building, 104 E. Industrial Blvd, Early, Texas.
If you haven’t already paid your club dues, please be sure to bring payment to the next meeting.
Bring a friend to the next metal detector meeting…Remember….Prizes everywhere!!!
Be thinking about a program YOU could bring for the club, and about volunteering to do it!
MOST IMPORTANT….stop by for some food and fellowship!!!
Central Texas Treasure Club
Meets at: 104 E. Industrial Blvd, Early, Texas
Mail to: 2207 Ave. B, c/o Jay Longley, Brownwood, Texas 76801